In Memory

Prentice Hart - Class Of 1968

Hart, Prentice 


Prentice Hart, 59, passed away April 17, 2009, in a Fort Worth hospital. He was born March 7, 1950, in Lubbock, the son of Wesley Elbert and Jesse B. West Hart. He married Linda Gore on May 28, 1980, in Palo Pinto County. 
Services will be 10 a.m. Wednesday, April 22, 2009, at the First United Methodist Church of Graford with Rev. Noel Baker officiating. Burial will follow in Graford Cemetery. 
He is survived by his wife: Linda Hart, sons: John Franks, William Franks, Wesley Hart, Joshua Hart, daughter: Mitzi Boetz, six grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. 


Published in the Mineral Wells Index on 4/21/2009



  Post Comment

01/25/11 01:41 PM #1    

Ray Denison (1968)

Ray Denison wrote… I first met Prentice in Grade School in Fort Sumner, in the mid to late 1950s. We graduated from Fort Sumner High School in May of 1968 and entered into the Army on the "Buddy Plan" in January of 1969 after his brother Jerry convinced us that Special Forces was what really needed us. We went through Basic Training, Airborne Infantry Training, Airborne (Jump) School and started Special Forces Training at Fort Bragg, NC together. Truth is I probably would not have made it through some of it if it were not for Prentice’s help and pushing. I later was sent to Vietnam while Prentice stayed and continued Special Forces service from Fort Bragg. I spent a short time with Prentice after my Vietnam tour when I was sent back to Fort Bragg, before he left the service on an early out. I saw him only a couple of times over the next few years as our lives took different roads and except for the occasional Christmas card and one telephone conversation in 1983 we lost contact. When I learned of his passing in 2009 it hit me as hard as if my friend and I had just seen each other over the weekend and we had never parted company for long. Prentice was for years my best friend and very much like a brother to me along with Wesley and Jesse being my second set of parents. Prentice and I got each other into and out of trouble far too many times. In my mind we are still those two crazy young guys who were going to save the world at a time when most people were trying to avoid military service. We laughed, hustled pool, chased girls, got arrested, drank more than a few adult beverages and partied like rock stars back in the day. We had “Road Trips” that most guys only dream about. Prentice was liked and loved by many during the time that we spent together and though he was tough both mentally and physically he had a big heart. He had a smile that meant he liked you or there was about to be trouble.  I was truly blessed to have had such a friend and the memories that came from that friendship. As I said it had been years since I had seen or talked to him, but my heart thought of him often and he was never forgotten. I am glad to see that he had a family, children, grandchildren and even a great-grandchild that is great. I always thought we would somehow get a chance to get together again for at least a short visit, but that was not to be in this life. I will continue to miss my friend and brother, I will mourn his passing, but he will remain a part of me, as he always has been, until I see him again. May God Bless his family and help them find peace and comfort.

  Post Comment